In the words of author and business leader, Adam Whitty, “You don’t have to be a business guru to recognize when a business is firing on all cylinders, that everyone is putting their skills to maximum use, working together, and actually having a good time. How to create that chemistry – that’s the question.”
Here are 5 ways to get that hum in your workplace every day.
1) Staff your team with A-players; they’re worth the wait. An A-player is someone who brings all of the necessary qualifications to the table – perhaps more than you were expecting – and that something extra as a human being. Of course, that isn’t always readily apparent during a 45-minute interview; it can take time to see the true colors of a talented individual to come through.
This speaks to the importance of having an intuitive hiring manager, “which may be a small business’s CEO,” Witty adds. Also, it’s important to have A-players who put the team first. Egomaniacs who cannot collaborate can grind productivity to a screeching halt.
Prioritize recruiting the most fitting people for the position and organization. The wrong person costs your company. It’s much better to have an empty spot than the wrong person lurking around your office.
2) Recognize the importance of having fun. “Having fun not only helps your team do well, it’s a sign that you’re doing things right,” Witty says. “Where fun and work meet is the understanding from employees that they’re making a difference. You want a team of individuals who are motivated by the ‘why’ of what they do.” Fun at work means having energy and enthusiasm while tending to the tasks at hand.
3) Make employees and clients your extended family. A family environment significantly facilitates a team mentality, especially for those quiet geniuses who like to keep to themselves because they’re shy. But why stop there? Extend the love to clients, suppliers and other crucial components of the business. Without these folks, your business couldn’t survive.
4) Commit to lifelong learning. Seek to uncover and promote the leader in every one on your team by encouraging all members to follow a path of personal and professional development. With increased knowledge, experiences and skills, people lead to a more fulfilled life, which can profit everyone within a working environment.
5) Utilize the trouble makers. Which members of your team are scrappy upstarts? Start using their talents to consider new solutions to the same old problems, instead of trying to make them fit into the typical team dynamic. According to author Witty, “Our team members are driven by the ‘why’ of what we do. The right content in the right person’s hands at the right time can change the world forever. We believe in sharing stories, passion and knowledge to guide and help others learn and grow.”
We are coming to a city near you! Join us for a COMPLIMENTARY 1/2 day workshop and get the latest workplace data on building cohesive teams. See you there!
Employee Development Systems (EDSI) is a mission-driven company. With over 20 years of experience in employee develoment, we know that we can increase engagement, impact, and productivity with our hallmark programs. We invite you to learn more about our programs and connect with us.